Luang Prabang Restaurants
Where and What to Eat in Luang Prabang
The eclectic range of menus in this small town fuse traditional European fare (including hot crusty baguettes, hearty stews and succulent steaks) with the spicy and exotic dishes of the Orient. Other than the distinct architectural feel the town has due to the French-connection, the food choices truly serve to demonstrate the positive influences of colonisation.
The popular Restaurant Row on the banks of the Mekong houses a range of restaurants from Indian to Laos to Laos-and-French fusion.Read More
- Private Standard Car: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Private Minibus: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Small-Group Laos Cooking Class at Tamnak Lao Restaurant Cooking School
- Private Half-Day City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Private Full-Day City Tour
- Private River Cruise to Pak Ou Caves & Lao Villages Tour
- Private Full-Day Pak Ou Caves Excursion
- Half-Day Old Town Sightseeing Tour
- Private Full-Day City & Almsgiving Tour
Most Popular Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Looking for high-quality, authentic Lao food? Then don’t go past Tamnak Lao Restaurant and Cooking School. Enjoy the taste and texture sensation of Lao food at the restaurant and then attend a cooking class to learn how to easily create a complete Lao meal in your own kitchen. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Every day from 9.00am to 10.30pm.
- Address: Sakkarine Road, Ban Watsene, Luang Prabang.
- Tel: Restaurant: +856 71 252525
Cooking School: +856 71 212239
- Cuisine: Specializes in traditional Luang Prabang cuisine.
Other Restaurants in Luang Prabang
With a view of the Royal Pavilion’s golden spires, Blue Lagoon offers a combination of Lao and Swiss classics on its menu, complemented by a selection of Old and New World wines as well as cocktails, mocktails, Laotian beers, gourmet coffees, teas and juices. A fine-dining establishment, it is highly popular among the connoisseurs of gourmet cuisine, with an outdoor dining terrace offering views of its garden and pond.
- Location: A narrow lane next to the Royal Pavilion, just off Sisavangvong Road
- Tel: +856 71 253 698
Café des Arts
Featuring a gallery of local art, this atmospheric establishment serves up hamburgers, pastas, crepes, tartines and filets de boeuf, with mouth watering results. Like all the other establishments on Restaurant Row the Café is open air and enjoys the added bonus of being one of the few places in town where an evening drink can be had.
- Opening Hours: Breakfast, lunch & dinner time
- Address: 21 04 Sisavangvong Rd. Xiengmouan LuangPrabang
- Tel: +856-71 2521 62
- Cuisine: French
Set inside two lovely courtyard gardens, Coconut Garden features an intimate ambience and a delightful menu of traditional Lao and Western fusions. There’s also a large selection of drinks and Western-style desserts. The front garden overlooks the main street, while the backyard garden has a more private feel, with decorative lights and water features. The set menus offer a good introduction to Lao cuisine, with a choice of nine-dish degustation menu, vegetarian set and mini-Lao set (Lao Noy).
- Location: Sisavangvong Road (just at the beginning of the Evening Market)
- Tel: +856 71 252 482
Across the footbridge over the Nam Khan River, this laid-back restaurant overlooks scenic views of the river and Luang Prabang City. Seating comprises floor cushions, low tables, pillows, set on tree-enshrouded wooden terraces. There’s also an open garden for enjoying traditional Lao barbecue and individual bamboo huts for private parties. The food menu is extensive, with up to 77 varieties of cocktail and excellent Lao, Asian and Western fare. There’s even free Wi-Fi internet connection. All in all, this cosy restaurant invites hours of lounging, chatting and savouring tasty food.
- Opening Hours: 8:00-23:00
- Location: Across the bamboo bridge (from Phousi Road), near Wat Phan Luang
- Tel: +856 20 5510 4817
Set in a restored 70-year old wooden home, the menu, interior and resulting ambience are distinctly Laotian. On most evenings the restaurant features live music. The restaurant also includes a garden dining area which adds to its appeal.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 - 23:30
- Location: Opposite the fountain across from Maison Souvannaphoum
- Address: 52 Ban Vat That, Luang Prabang
- Tel: +856-71 2523 72
- Cuisine: Asian/Pac Rim
La Silapa Restaurant
This modern Italian and Lao restaurant is located in a charming house with a spacious garden opposite Wat Aham in the centre of Luang Prabang. With a traditional wood-fired pizza oven you can expect thin and crispy pizzas, as well as pasta, fish and meat dishes.
An extensive wine list and happy hour drinks promotions makes La Silapa a popular spot for a couple of evening drinks not far from the Nam Khan River and several iconic temples. Open for dinner only.
- Opening Hours: 18:00-23:30 daily
- Location: Pomma That Road (Opposite Wat Aham)
Lao Barbecue Experience
While in Luang Prabang, why not try this fun, popular dinner experience. The setup is simple. A low wooden table, floor mat strewn with cushions, a round iron cooking pot, coal fire, some raw meat, stock soup, vegetables and some beer, and you are ready for a Lao-style barbecue. Pour some stock soup into the pot, wait for it to heat up then add vegetables or glass noodles into the broth. Meanwhile, place some meat on the top part of the grill, which remains dry. When done, dip the meat in the dipping sauce, and have a bite!
Le Café Ban Vat Sene
A lovely colonial-style shop-house, Le Café Ban Vat Sene has wooden tables and chairs set on the pavement and a very relaxed atmosphere. Inside, small shelves display a collection of bottles and ‘antiques’. Enjoy a daily selection of French bakery, light snacks, sandwiches, wine and desserts, along with chilled out music and a collection of magazines, books and newspapers. Coffee is very good here, and the free Wi-Fi internet is an added bonus.
- Opening Hours: 6:30-22:00
- Location: Sakkarine Road, opposite Wat Sene
- Tel: +856 71 252 482
Just around the corner from the Saffron Cafe is a French-and-Laotian fusion restaurant, which is pricier than your average Luang Prabang restaurant. With high quality ingredients that include French Camembert, Laotian lemongrass and French meat, the produce and price ranges speak for themselves.
- Location: Located down a twisting side street named Phagnalluanngmuang-chan, just behind Villa Santi
- Address: Ban Vat Nong, Box 812 Luang Prabang, Lao
- Tel: +856-71 2524 82
- Cuisine: French, Laotian
Les 3 Nagas
Featuring a fusion of Asian and Western fare with a Laotian twist, the restaurant is situated at the quieter end of Restaurant Row, with an open-air spot (mosquito repellant is a good idea when dining outside). Les 3 Nagas is one of the town's classier joints, so expect to pay western prices. Lao-style creme custard of pumpkin and coconut comes highly recommended.
- Location: 3 Nagas Hotel
- Address: Ban Vatnong, Sakkaline Road P.O. Box 722, Luang Prabang
- Tel: +856-71 2538 88
- Cuisine: Asian/Pac Rim
Anyone who has travelled through Vientiane or Vang Vienne before reaching Luang Prabang should be familiar with the popular Nazim outlets. Their no thrills approach to serving mouth wateringly good Indian dishes, means service and interiors can be a bit shaky but the food itself counteracts any grief incurred while trying to get a decent Chicken Tikka Masala when in Laos. Well-placed on the busy (for Laos) Restaurant Row.
- Opening Hours: Lunch & dinner time
- Address: 78/4 Ban Visoun Visounnarath Rd, Luang Prabang
- Tel: +856-71 2522 63
- Cuisine: Indian
Riverloft Restaurant serves Lao and American comfort food, prepared with fresh local produce available year-round in the Luang Prabang morning market. The in-house bakery offers bagels, croissants, whole-wheat breads, and many types of cakes, as well as a to-die-for Tamarind bar, all in a serene, comfortable and beautiful setting on the banks of the gentle Nam Khan River. Many customers stay for hours, enjoying free coffee refills and Wi-Fi or chatting with the friendly wait staff.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 07:00-21:00
- Location: 80/03 KingKitsarath Rd, 8th Building on the Nam Khan River side of the historic peninsula.
- Tel: 030 200 5228
- Cuisine: Lao, Western
Here, visitors will discover the best coffee in Luang Prabang, originating from the hill-tribes who grow the beans Arabica style. The cool air and rich forest soil combine to make some of the world's most distinctive coffee. An afternoon coffee and a late breakfast overlooking the Mekong is a must when in town.
- Opening Hours: 07:00 - 21:00
- Location: Close to L'Elephant Restaurant
- Address: PO Box 494 Luang Prabang, Lao
- Tel: +856-20 5399 557
The Apsara Restaurant & Bar
Housed inside a beautifully restored school building, this elegant establishment is part of the nine-room luxury boutique hotel, The Apsara. The interior evokes a classy, contemporary Oriental style, with coloured lanterns, polished concrete floor and wooden bar counter. A selection of classic Lao as well as Asian and Western fusions fills the menu. The atmosphere is especially lovely and cosy, an ideal place to enjoy a romantic dinner or after-dinner drinks.
- Location: Kingkitsarath Road
- Tel: +856 71 254 670
The Aussie Sports Bar & Restaurant
If you feel like having something different than Laos food, head to the Aussie Bar. Their menu might be small but it includes the usual western suspects such as mini-burgers, Aussie meat pie with chips and salad, fish & chips and toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwiches. The Aussie Bar is probably most well known for its plasma screen TVs showing live sports ranging from from football to Formula 1. It’s a great place to meet other fellow travelers and expats or to just people watch.
- Opening Hours: Daily
- Location: Ban Aham, Sisouphan Road, Luang Prabang
- Tel: +856 20 7125 4706
The Belle Rive Terrace
Part of The Belle Rive boutique hotel, this riverside café overlooks panoramic views of the Mekong and is ideal for chilling out. The two dining terraces are set on the riverbanks, surrounded by pockets of tamarind and palm trees, an ideal setup for enjoying breakfast, sundowner cocktails, or sunset dinner. Enjoy a range of classic Lao and Thai dishes, plus a selection of western fusions. Located just behind Wat Sene, The Belle Rive Terrace also makes a good rest stop while sight-seeing.
- Location: Mekong riverside (Khem Khong Road), behind Wat Sene
- Tel: +856 71 260 733
Utopia Restaurant and Bar
Utopia is a great place in Luang Prabang. It has all it takes to be a hot hangout for travelers because of its location, atmosphere, prices and service. It’s a peaceful place during the day where you can enjoy good food and drinks and relax in their tropical gardens or at the bamboo river decks taking in the lovely upcountry scenery that Luang Prabang is known for. Utopia also has a range of different activities such as beach volleyball, shisha pipes, live music and movies/documentaries.
- Opening Hours: Early for breakfast and stays open until around 23:30
- Location: Ban Aphay, Kingkitsarath Rd, Luang Prabang. (It is located in a quiet neighborhood along the banks of the Nam Khan River. To go there, it’s best to start from Wat Visoun as there is a small lane across the road from the temple leading to Utopia. Just follow the signs, you won’t miss it.)