Roots & Leaves in Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Restaurants & Dining0
This picturesque garden restaurant combines two Lao experiences in one: dining and watching a cultural show. Set around a lily and lotus pond, with towering palm, tamarind and mango trees, tables share a view of the floating pavilion where a string of cultural performances take centre stage.
The shows reflect Lao people’s way of life and cultural heritage, whether a welcome ceremony (Houay Pon), 14th Century court dance (Nang Keo), rice harvest celebration dance (Khmu Bamboo Dance), or a fashion show depicting traditional and contemporary Lao fashion.Read More
- Private Standard Car: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Private Minibus: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Small-Group Laos Cooking Class at Tamnak Lao Restaurant Cooking School
- Private Half-Day City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Private Full-Day City Tour
- Private River Cruise to Pak Ou Caves & Lao Villages Tour
- Private Full-Day Pak Ou Caves Excursion
- Half-Day Old Town Sightseeing Tour
- Private Full-Day City & Almsgiving Tour
Instead of a grand cultural spectacle, the performance feels rather relaxed and unintrusive. The sounds of traditional Lao instruments from the accompanying ‘orchestra’ signal the beginning, and you slip nicely into dinner as food starts arriving on the table. Dinner comprises mostly classic Lao fare, and you can choose from the a la carte menu or the set dinner and show combination.
The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and any meal throughout the day, but cultural shows are only for dinner. There’s also a bar and wine cellar, so you can enjoy a drink with or without the meal. If, in the end, you like the food here so much, join the cooking class!
Roots & Leaves Cooking Class
Like most cooking classes in Luang Prabang, the cooking class at Roots & Leaves involves a morning market visit to learn about the raw ingredients used in Lao cuisine. Back at the school, you learn how to prepare and cook a Lao meal, then class ends with lunch comprising all the dishes that you learned how to cook in class.
Far from feeling touristy, Roots & Leaves offers a memorable cultural experience. If you want to get more exposure to local culture, this is a good place to try.
- Opening Hours: 7:00-23:00 (dinner shows 19:00-21:00, schedules vary according to travel seasons)
- Location: Setthathilath Road
- Tel: +856 71 254 870
Hotels near Roots & Leaves RestaurantRate This Place: ( votes)