This picturesque garden restaurant combines two Lao experiences in one: dining and watching a cultural show. Set around a lily and lotus pond, with towering palm, tamarind and mango trees, tables share a view of the floating pavilion where a string of cultural performances take centre stage.
The shows reflect Lao people’s way of life and cultural heritage, whether a welcome ceremony (Houay Pon), 14th Century court dance (Nang Keo), rice harvest celebration dance (Khmu Bamboo Dance), or a fashion show depicting traditional and contemporary Lao fashion.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
Instead of a grand cultural spectacle, the performance feels rather relaxed and unintrusive. The sounds of traditional Lao instruments from the accompanying ‘orchestra’ signal the beginning, and you slip nicely into dinner as food starts arriving on the table. Dinner comprises mostly classic Lao fare, and you can choose from the a la carte menu or the set dinner and show combination.
The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and any meal throughout the day, but cultural shows are only for dinner. There’s also a bar and wine cellar, so you can enjoy a drink with or without the meal. If, in the end, you like the food here so much, join the cooking class!
Roots & Leaves Cooking Class
Like most cooking classes in Luang Prabang, the cooking class at Roots & Leaves involves a morning market visit to learn about the raw ingredients used in Lao cuisine. Back at the school, you learn how to prepare and cook a Lao meal, then class ends with lunch comprising all the dishes that you learned how to cook in class.
Far from feeling touristy, Roots & Leaves offers a memorable cultural experience. If you want to get more exposure to local culture, this is a good place to try.
- Opening Hours: 7:00-23:00 (dinner shows 19:00-21:00, schedules vary according to travel seasons)
- Location: Setthathilath Road
- Tel: +856 71 254 870