Tamarind Restaurant in Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Restaurants & Dining0
Tamarind is all about promoting greater understanding of Laotian culture, and from word of mouth alone, the restaurant has become an institution in Luang Prabang’s culinary scene. Well known for its tasty and healthy traditional Lao food, as well as the top-rank cooking school, the place is constantly busy and packed at meal times.
The menu ranges from platter combinations of dips and salads to soups, wraps (miang), larbs, stir-fried and grilled a-la-carte dishes.Read More
- Private Standard Car: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Private Minibus: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Small-Group Laos Cooking Class at Tamnak Lao Restaurant Cooking School
- Private Half-Day City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Private Full-Day City Tour
- Private River Cruise to Pak Ou Caves & Lao Villages Tour
- Private Full-Day Pak Ou Caves Excursion
- Half-Day Old Town Sightseeing Tour
- Private Full-Day City & Almsgiving Tour
Particularly interesting are the various theme culinary experiences called Lao Feasts and Traditional Luang Prabang Meal, in which you join other diners at a communal table and share a set table comprising various main courses and side dishes, while the staff members provide you with additional information about each dish and how to enjoy the meal Lao style. These feasts are very popular, so it’s a good idea to make advance reservations.
For the more adventurous, try The Adventurous Lao Gourmet experience, a degustation-style menu that covers exotic tastes and textures not found in restaurants. The drinks menu covers a range of refreshing fruit juices, herbal drinks, fruit teas, custom-made liquors (the restaurant’s own recipe) and Beer Lao.
Tamarind Cooking School and Market Tours
For those who’d like to go more deeply into Lao cuisine, explore Lao cooking through Tamarind Cooking School. Classes begin with a guided morning tour of a food market, where you will learn about the key ingredients used in Lao cuisine and how they are used. Back at the school, you will learn how to prepare and cook six different dishes, then enjoy them in an open-air pavilion overlooking the Nam Khan River. You will receive a recipe book to bring back home.
Individual market tours without the cooking class can be arranged.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: 11:00-18:00 (Mon-Sat)
- Location: Tamarind is on to the Nam Khan River, next door to the Apsara Hotel
- Tel: +856 20 7777 0484