The Traditional Arts & Ethnology Centre of Luang Prabang is dedicated to the preservation and celebration of the many ethnic groups existing in Laos. Located in a restored heritage building along Kingkitsarath Road, it is the only non-profit museum in Laos.
This cultural display of arts and lifestyles reflect a very diverse ethnic population. Permanent exhibitions feature traditional textiles and clothing, jewellery, religious artefacts, handicraft tools, and household objects. The museum offers visitors a rare glimpse into the life of Laotian people giving a greater understanding to their richly diverse culture with quotes, photos and videos bringing the exhibits to life.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
The small centre has over 400 exhibits documenting the life and times of 30 ethnic groups in Laos. Permanent exhibitions include the subgroups of the Akha people, which feature a headdress made with 300 pieces of antique Indochinese silver. The Kmhmu gallery has a model of Kmhmu home with baskets and back strap looms.
The museum shop operates on a fair-trade basis by providing local craftsmen and women with an opportunity to sell their handmade goods. You can find about 500 products supporting ethnic families across Laos.
Traditional Arts & Ethnology Centre
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Sunday from 9am to 6pm (closed on Mondays)
- Address: Kingkitsarath Road, Ban Khamyong Luang Prabang, 06000, Laos
- Tel: +856 71 253 364