The Cooperative Orthotic and Prosthetic Enterprise (COPE) is a charity organisation that provides treatment and rehabilitation programmes for Laotian people with physical disabilities. Many patients suffer injuries from hidden explosive scattered throughout the countryside as a result of the Vietnam War.
Unexploded weapons (UXO) that litter the countryside as a result of the Vietnam War has been and continues to injure and maim thousands of people in Laos. COPE funds the manufacturing of orthotic devices to help support parts of the body, as well as wheelchairs and tricycles. It also makes prosthetic legs, arms and hands for the unfortunate.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
With a headquarters in Vientiane, COPE has 5 rehabilitation centres across 8 provinces in Laos, so that victims – mostly children – living in rural areas have access to this crucial healthcare centre. It provides and funds all the medical treatments and also travelling and accommodation costs for all patients.
You can learn more about COPE’s mission through various exhibitions and documentary films showcased in the centre. You can also see how prosthetic limbs are made at the onsite workshop. Check out the exhibit about the problem of UXO in Laos.
The Karma Cafe is a good place to have a cup of Lao coffee and homemade ice cream during your visit at COPE. There’s also a gift shop, where you can buy shirts and postcards or simply make a donation to this worthwhile cause.
Cooperative Orthotic and Prosthetic Enterprise
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 6pm
- Location: Khouvieng Road, Vientiane, Laos
- Tel: +856 21 241 972