The Patuxai Victory Gate is a massive concrete arch on Lang Xang Avenue. Reminiscent of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, the monument commemorates Laos’ resilience and eventual independence, as well as those who lost their life in the wars.
The exterior features Buddhist symbols and Hindu deities, with 5 ornate towers built in traditional Laotian style. The 4 corner towers and 5th central tower that crown the arch symbolise the 5 Buddhist principles of thoughtful amiability, flexibility, honesty, honour, and prosperity.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
Patuxai Victory Gate Highlights
You’ll find intricate carvings of lotus leaves, as well as statues of animist kinnari (half-female, half-bird figures) and nagas (dragons). The 7-storey Patuxai Victory Gate also has beautiful walls and ceilings with paintings of gods, goddesses, and elephants.
For about 5,000 kip, you can climb a spiral stairway to the tower’s observation deck – it offers stunning city views, particularly at sunset. The gate is surrounded by Patuxai Park, which makes for a pleasant evening stroll in Vientiane.
Patuxai Victory Gate
- Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 8am to 4.30pm, Saturday–Sunday from 8am to 5pm
- Location: Lang Xang Avenue, Vientiane, Laos