Monument Books is the biggest and best-stocked book shop in Vientiane. There are a host of new and second-hand book stores on the streets leading away from the river in the centre of town; however, if you are after something in particular, including travel guides, international magazines and books on Laotian history, then Monument Books should be your first stop. Owing to the slow pace of life in Laos, and a coffee-shop culture that is a central characteristic of life in the capital, a good book can be the perfect accompaniment to watching the world go by on a lazy afternoon.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
There are several other Monument bookstores found throughout Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, but the Vientiene branch is located on Nokeokumman Rd, just after the intersection with Setthathirath. Monument Books has a pleasant atmosphere with attentive, but not pushy, staff. The books are more expensive than in any Western country though, but this is a true of all well-stocked book shops in Southeast Asia.
It’s also a place to pick up original artwork at a reasonable price and some interesting postcards and other souvenir type items that aren’t mass produced or tacky. Monument Books also has a small art gallery upstairs but exhibits are temporary.
Monument Book Shop
- Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 09:00-20:00, Sat-Sun 09:00-18:00
- Address: Vientiane Store#124/1, Nokeokumman Rd, Ban Mixay, Vientiane
- Tel: +856 21 243 708