The Vientiane Night Market takes place along the Mekong Riverfront, where you can see rows of red-roofed stalls selling handicraft, clothes, and electronics. There’s also a children’s playground, a Chinese shrine, a flower garden, and an imposing statue of Chao Anouvong pointing across the Mekong.
Vendors begin to set up their stalls around sunset – the market is busiest around 8pm, so head there early to avoid a large crowd. Some of the most common items you can find at the Vientiane Night Market include Buddhist-inspired paintings, cheap sunglasses, and shirts with Beer Lao logos. The clothes stalls tend to be geared towards the backpacker market, with one-size-fits-all dresses, skirts, and pants.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
As with all touristy markets, many vendors can speak basic English which gives you a chance to test your bargaining skills. It’s a must-do as initial prices are always inflated, so you should never accept the first price quoted.
It helps to wander around to find the best price as you’ll likely find the same things for sale at this market. Even if you have already stocked up on souvenirs and aren’t really planning to buy anything, the Vientiane Night Market is well worth a visit in the evening for its gorgeous sunset alone.
Vientiane Night Market
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 9.30pm
- Location: Mekong Riverfront, Vientiane, Laos