Some of the best places to go shopping in Vientiane include its traditional markets, where you can experience the local lifestyle, shop for authentic souvenirs, and sample delicious Lao dishes. Rows of vendors set up shop along the River Mekong – you get to enjoy sunset views of the Lao capital during your visit too.
Vientiane city centre has dozens of quaint gift shops and galleries operating on fair-trade principles. Textiles, crafts, home décor, and jewellery are sourced from various ethnic villages across Laos – all proceeds go towards these artisans and create employment opportunities for the unfortunate.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
The Vientiane Night Market takes place along the Mekong Riverfront, where you can see rows of red-roofed stalls selling handicraft, clothes, and electronics. Vendors begin to set up their stalls around sunset – the market is busiest around 8pm, so head there early to avoid a large crowd. The Vientiane Night Market is well worth a visit in the evening for its gorgeous sunset alone, as well as the many street food stalls selling authentic Lao dishes. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 9.30pm
- Location: Mekong Riverfront, Vientiane, Laos
Carol Cassidy's Lao Textiles
Carol Cassidy’s Lao Textiles doubles as a workshop and gallery of traditional Laotian textiles. The American designer and a team of 40 local artisans use traditional techniques to produce scarves and home décor with intricate patterns and motifs. All of her works are 100% handwoven silk – note that prices are rather high compared to most shops in Vientiane.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Friday from 8am to 12pm and from 2pm to 5pm, Saturday from 8am to 12pm (closed on Sundays)
- Location: Ban Mixay, Vientiane, Laos
- Tel: +856 21 212 123
Talat Sao Vientiane is both a shopping mall (with air-conditioning) and morning market in the city centre. Its outdoor section has narrow walkways lined with market-style souvenir stalls, while the mall has shops selling clothes, sports equipment, and jewellery. There’s also a cinema and arcade centre, both popular among those looking to escape the heat and humidity. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 5.30pm
- Address: Lane Xang Avenue, Vientiane 0100, Laos
- Tel: +856 21 285 001
The Vangthong Evening Food Market attracts locals and tourists looking to enjoy authentic Laotian food at affordable prices. After sunset, the market becomes a hive of activity with dozens of stalls preparing traditional dishes such as bla kan sung (grilled fish), sai oua (Laotian sausage), and bet yang (roasted duck). A walk through Vangthong Evening Food Market also provides plenty of good photo opportunities – just make sure you ask for permission before clicking that shutter. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5pm to 10pm
- Address: Rue Phai Nam, Vientiane, Laos
Ministry of Silk offers ready-to-wear clothes with modern Lao designs and a selection traditional jewellery, accessories, and bags. Most are one-of-a-kind pieces made from silk – you’ll find cocktail dresses, scarves, overcoats, and business shirts of various styles. You can even have these clothes customised according to your size and preference. Prices are higher at Ministry of Silk compared to most boutiques in Vientiane, but you’ll be paying for quality and style. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 9pm
- Address: 99/01 Namphou Square, Vientiane, Laos
- Tel: +856 21 213 776
T'Shop Lai Gallery
When you enter T’Shop Lai Gallery, you might feel as if you’ve stepped into a traditional Laotian home. The store’s many cabinets display intricate handmade trinkets, essential oils, perfumes, and organic soaps – all of which are fair-trade and made from locally sourced ingredients. Head upstairs and you’ll find an art gallery where you can purchase colourful artwork at reasonable prices.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from 8am to 8pm, Sunday from 10am to 6pm
- Address: In Paeng Road, Vientiane, Laos
- Tel: +856 21 223 178
The Little House Vientiane is a roastery, café, and souvenir shop beside Wat Si Muang. This charming venue roasts (and sells) coffee sourced from local farms on the Bolevan Plateau, particularly in Paksong. Enjoy handcrafted and full-bodied caffeine such as latte and mocha, together with your choice of pastries or cakes. Little House Vientiane also sells handmade silk and embroidery by ethnic groups across Laos. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Sunday from 8.30am to 6pm (closed on Mondays)
- Address: Ban Si Meuang, Vientiane, Laos
- Tel: +856 20 55 406 036