The Mulberries Organic Silk Farm is a silk farming and handicraft cooperative in the Phonsavan District of Xiengkhouang Province. The area is often associated with fine Laotian silk, so the farm helps promote silk production as a way to generate income to families in surrounding areas while preserving the vanishing art of Laotian weaving.
Founded in 1993, this non-profit company grows its own chemical-free mulberry trees. The leaves are the staple diet of silk worms, which are raised here for 4 months, after which their cocoons are collected and reeled. The dyeing process that follows makes use of indigenous plants (such as indigo, jackfruit, and tamarind), which produce deep and rich colours.
- Full-Day Private Guided City Tour
- Private Tat Sae Waterfalls Hike with Elephant Ride
- Traditional Lao Life
- Private Full-Day Vientiane & Surrounds Excursion
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Small-Group Morning Almsgiving & Market Tour
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Small-Group Half-Day Vientiane Tour
Mulberries Organic Silk Farm
The silk then goes to local women who weave beautiful patterns using wooden looms. The Mulberries Organic Silk Farm sells the finished products – colourful scarves and cushion covers – at its onsite gift shop and several outlets in Vientiane.
The farm offers guided tours, daytrips and farm stays if you want to learn more about the silk making process. The hour-long tour lets you explore the farm as well as meet the local weavers and farmers tending to silk worms.
- Opening Hours: Monday – Saturday from 8am to 4pm (closed on Sundays)
- Location: Phonsavan, Laos
- Tel: +856 21 263 371