The Plain Of Jars
Xieng Khouang Attractions0
The Plain of Jars is considered the most distinctive and enigmatic of all Laos attractions. The large area around Phonsavan, the main city of Xieng Khouang Province is dotted with stone jars but no one has a clear idea as to why they are there.
The mysterious jars were carved from both sandstone and granite in various sizes from very small to about 3.5 metres high and are thought to be more than 2,000 years old. Legend has it that they were made to store rice wine while some believe they were for storing the dead. Until today the function of the jars is still disputed.Read More
- Private Standard Car: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Private Full-Day Tour to Phou Khao Khouay National Park
- Private Full-Day Vang Vieng Excursion & Boat Ride
- Private Day Trip to Nam Ngum Dam
- Full-Day Private Guided Pak Ou Caves Tour
- Private Elephant Riding & Kayaking Tour with Lunch
- Private Hill-Tribe Village & Kuang Si Falls Tour
- Full-Day Elephant & Trail Of Falls Experience
- Private Minibus: Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ)
- Private Full-Day Kuang Si Falls Excursion
The Plain Of Jars Highlights
Of all the many jar sites, the three most popular ones to visit are known as Site 1, 2 and 3. The main reason is because they are safe from UXO (unexploded ordinance). Still, visitors are advised to walk only on the known routes as Laos is considered the most heavily bombed/mined country in the world. During the Vietnam War this area got hit hard and some of the bombs did not go off. Site 1 is where the biggest jar is located. While Site 2 and 3 offer picturesque views of farmlands and villages as they sit on top of small hills.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: All year round
- Location: Around Phonsavan, the main town of Xieng Khouang Province in Northeast Laos. Site 1 is about 15km southwest of Phonsavan and has about 300 jars. Site 2 is about 25km south of Phonsavan and contains about 90 jars spread over two hills. Site 3 is about 35km southeast of Phonsavan and contains about 150 jars. It’s actually only 10km away from Site 2.
- How to get there: It’s easy to hire taxi (4WD and driver) from Phonsavan to the jar sites or visitors can catch a local bus to Site 3 but not site 1 and 2
- Tour Available: Highlights of Laos - Tour Package 9 days